Delicate, melt-in-your-mouth Alfajores are a standard South American sandwich cookie. Brimming with creamy dulce de leche filling and rolled in coconut (or not), this simple alfajores recipe is one among my favorites for vacation baking. I simply know you’ll love them too!
Attempt my On the spot Pot Dulce de Leche recipe for these cookies! It’s tremendous simple and achieved in about 35 minutes from begin to end!
Basic Selfmade Alfajores Cookies
Probably the greatest issues about cooking and baking is the power to really feel such as you’re experiencing the delicacies of one other nation – within the consolation of your individual kitchen! Immediately, we’re taking a visit to South America with these simple alfajores cookies, produced from scratch.
These sandwich cookies have severely scrumptious taste. They soften in your mouth due to a creamy dulce de leche filling and tender, shortbread cookie texture. Rolled in coconut, alfajores are a dreamy and straightforward cookie recipe that you just’ll be coming again to many times!
What Are Alfajores?
Alfajores – pronounced alfa-hor-ays – are a standard cookie confection widespread in South America, made with a dulce de leche filling and sometimes rolled in coconut. Basically a wagon wheel cookie with a special sort of filling, alfajores are additionally known as dulce de leche sandwich cookies.
This recipe is for the normal cornstarch shortbread alfajor, with sides coated in coconut.
Right here is the checklist of substances you’ll want for this alfajores recipe. You’ll discover this can be a extra shortbread-style cookie with no eggs, egg yolks, or leavening agent like baking powder or baking soda. The complete ingredient checklist and recipe may be discovered on the backside of this submit.
- Dulce de Leche: For filling the sandwich cookies. You will discover jars of dulce de leche in most native supermarkets and delis, or you should utilize my simple recipe for do-it-yourself dulce de leche! You need to use any leftovers to make different scrumptious recipes like these dulce de leche snack squares or swirled fudge.
- Butter: Unsalted butter or salted butter can be utilized on this recipe. I used salted, however it’s a private choice.
- Cornstarch: A essential ingredient for the cornstarch shortbread discs that make up these sandwich cookies.
- All Function Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Kosher Salt
- Powdered Sugar: For dusting.
The right way to Make Alfajores Cookies
These conventional cookies are surprisingly easy to organize and bake. There are solely a handful of steps:
Prep the Dough: First, cream the butter and granulated sugar collectively in a mixing bowl along with your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Then add the vanilla, salt, and cornstarch. Slowly add within the flour till mixed.
Chill the Dough: You’ll have to refrigerate the dough for a minimum of 2 hours, or in a single day. Divide the dough into halves and roll these into logs, then wrap every in plastic wrap earlier than putting them within the fridge. Dividing the dough into two batches helps the dough keep agency if you’re slicing it later!
Reduce & Bake: Utilizing a pointy knife, slice the primary dough log into rounds a few quarter inch in thickness. On account of house constraints, you might have to chop and bake one log at a time! Place the dough rounds on a lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven till the perimeters are barely golden. Switch the baked cookies to a wire rack to chill and repeat with the second dough log as wanted. Alternately you possibly can roll the dough out and use a small spherical cookie cutter to make completely spherical cookies.
Assemble: Fastidiously unfold or pipe the dulce de leche onto one half the cookies, then press the opposite half of the cookies on high of the filling, forming sandwiches.
You may give these alfajores a dusting with powdered sugar, take pleasure in them plain, or see my strategies under for variations and adorning!
Suggestions for Success
- Measure Your Flour Appropriately: An excessive amount of flour is the commonest mistake when baking. Use a scale when you have one! In the event you don’t, you should utilize the “scoop and sweep” technique; spoon the flour into your measuring cup, and use a butter knife to stage it.
- Make Your Personal Dulce de Leche: As talked about above, it’s simple to make your individual dulce de leche at dwelling by cooking down condensed milk. You possibly can even use my simple recipe for On the spot Pot Dulce De Leche to avoid wasting effort and time!
- Keep away from Overfilling: These are gentle and delicate cookies, so bear this in thoughts when filling them and keep away from loading on an excessive amount of dulce de leche.
It’s frequent apply to roll Alfajores cookies in shredded coconut or desiccated coconut. It isn’t necessary, however it’s scrumptious! You may also dip them in chocolate or in any other case enhance them to your liking. Whereas switching out the dulce de leche will now not make these cookies “alfajores” by definition, you possibly can undoubtedly attempt these cookies with completely different fillings. Listed below are some concepts:
- Chocolate ganache
- Fruit jams or berry coulis
- Buttercream icing
- Salted caramel
- Add just a little lemon zest to the cookie it self for those who like a citrus chew!
The right way to Retailer Alfajores
Alfajores may be saved hermetic at room temperature for as much as 5 days. In the event you’ve rolled them in coconut, you possibly can stack them vertically (much like Oreo cookies) after which roll them in parchment paper to guard and retailer them.
Can I Freeze These?
Selfmade alfajores may be saved in an hermetic freezer protected container and saved frozen for as much as 30 days. Thaw the cookies at room temperature earlier than serving.
Extra Straightforward Christmas Cookies
Delicate and scrumptious Alfajores are a standard South American sandwich cookie. Brimming with creamy dulce de leche filling and rolled in coconut (or not), this simple alfajores recipe is one among my favorites for vacation baking.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups all goal flour
- 1 (11.5 ounce) jar dulce de leche
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar for dusting
Prep and chill the dough:
- Cream butter and sugar. Within the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle combine the butter and granulated sugar collectively on medium pace for two minutes till mixed.
- Add within the vanilla, salt, and cornstarch. Combine till evenly included, scraping the edges of the bowl as essential.
- Add flour. Flip the mixer to low and slowly add within the flour till mixed.
- Divide the dough in half and roll into logs 2- inches in diameter. Wrap every in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours, or in a single day.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper and put aside.
- Take away one of many dough logs from the fridge. Utilizing a pointy knife, slice into 1/4- inch rounds.
- Place on the ready baking sheet 1- inch aside (the cookies don’t unfold whereas baking). Bake for 8 – 10 minutes till the perimeters are barely golden. Switch to a wire rack to chill utterly. Repeat with the remaining dough. Permit the cookies to chill utterly.
- Unfold or pipe 1 teaspoon of dulce de leche onto the underside aspect of half the cookies. Press the opposite half of the cookies on high of every, forming sandwiches.
- Mud with powdered sugar.
Retailer hermetic at room temperature for as much as 5 days.
Freeze hermetic for as much as 30 days. Thaw at room temperature.
Key phrases: alfajores cookies, christmas cookies, sandwich cookies
Need To Save This Recipe?
PIN for later: