These gentle and ethereal pastry cookies have such a fragile, flaky texture! Traditional French Palmiers are straightforward to arrange at house and crisp up completely within the oven in beneath 20 minutes. Take pleasure in these sugary and crunchy, bakery-quality Palmiers cookies contemporary from your personal kitchen all 12 months lengthy!
Traditional French Palmiers
Have you ever ever heard the saying that cooking is artwork, whereas baking is science? If the world of baking appears intimidating (particularly across the holidays!), let me ease you into it with this extremely easy recipe for stunning French palmiers. These gentle and ethereal cookies look and style like they’ve come contemporary from a bakery, however occur to be amazingly straightforward to make at house.
Crispy and flaky, sugary and scrumptious, my recipe for palmiers cookies entails soften in your mouth puff pastry and a combination of sugar and salt. Solely three elements! Plus, these basic palmiers take little to no time in any respect to make. Let’s get into learn how to make palmiers cookies that seem like they’re contemporary from a pâtisserie show case!
What Are Palmiers?
Palmiers are a basic French pastry and cookie multi function, created from puff pastry and sugar, after which baked. Palmiers cookies are also called elephant ear cookies, or palm leaf cookies for his or her resemblance to a palm tree leaf (palmier is the French translation of “palm leaf”).
These basic cookies are fantastic to take pleasure in with espresso or tea, as a snack, or as a lightweight dessert. In addition they occur to be excellent for Christmas, with their gentle and crunchy texture and glowing sugared look!
For such an elaborate trying cookie, Palmiers are the truth is extremely easy to make – with simply 3 elements. Right here they’re:
- Cane Sugar: Coarse sugar brings a fragile crunch and fantastic wealthy taste to those cookies. Brown sugar or granulated sugar will also be used, although this may occasionally end in a barely sweeter cookie.
- Kosher Salt: Mixed with the sugar, this can be a gentle sweet-salty, crispy mixture that basically takes this easy recipe up a notch.
- Puff Pastry: I’m a shameless fan of fine frozen puff pastry; and to save lots of time, I exploit it for this recipe! You will discover frozen pastry dough within the freezer aisle at most supermarkets. Nevertheless, you possibly can undoubtedly use home made puff pastry dough should you’d favor.
Easy methods to Make French Palmiers
This basic French cookie recipe comes collectively in hardly any time in any respect, however can have visitors questioning whether or not you slaved within the kitchen for hours. Observe these steps:
Mix the Sugar and Salt: To start out, combine collectively the cane sugar and salt. Sprinkle a part of the sugar combination in a good layer over a clear floor (counter tops work nice!).
Roll Out the Dough: Place your first sheet of puff pastry on prime of the sugar, then sprinkle a bit extra of the sugar combination on prime. Gently roll out the pastry to press the sugar into the highest and backside of the sheet, till you’ve got it fully coated.
Fold & Repeat: Fold the primary pastry sheet right into a palmier form (the directions are included within the recipe beneath!). You’ll then repeat the sugaring, rolling, and folding course of with the second pastry sheet and remaining sugar combination.
Chill: Wrap the folded palmier pastries individually in plastic wrap and place them within the fridge to relax the dough.
Reduce and Bake: Reduce the 2 doughs into half inch slices and place them with their minimize sides going through upwards on a ready baking sheet. Bake them in a preheated oven, flipping the cookies midway via to permit either side to develop into caramelized and golden. Go away them on a wire rack to chill fully earlier than storing and serving.
In all their scrumptious simplicity, basic palmiers are additionally actually versatile. There are such a lot of variations you possibly can strive, from cinnamon palmiers to chocolate palmiers, and even savory choices! Listed here are my favourite methods to customise these cookies:
- Mix a teaspoon of cinnamon sugar or pumpkin pie spice into the sugar combination for a heat fall taste.
- Unfold a layer of chocolate unfold or Nutella over the sheet of puff pastry earlier than folding it.
- Give the completed cookies a lightweight drizzle of my 3 Ingredient Sugar Cookie Icing.
- Make savory palmiers with parmesan and contemporary herbs, or garlic and olive oil.
- Add in crushed nuts like walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts.
Suggestions for Success
- Use New Parchment Paper for Every Batch: Because the sugar tends to burn to the baking sheet whereas the cookies bake, re-using the parchment paper may cause the burnt bits to stay to the subsequent batch. Change out the parchment between batches for the prettiest trying cookies!
- Let Frozen Pastry Thaw Fully: Be certain that your pastry dough is totally thawed earlier than you start; this may occasionally take 30 – 45 minutes at room temperature, or in a single day within the fridge.
Easy methods to Retailer Palmiers
Retailer hermetic for as much as 3 days at room temperature in a non-humid place. If the air is humid the palmiers will get sticky!
Can I Freeze These?
You’ll be able to! My most well-liked methodology is to freeze the dough previous to baking by laying out the unbaked folded cookies on a baking sheet to pre-freeze, earlier than transferring them to a container or resealable bag. While you’re able to bake the palmiers, bake them from frozen with an additional minute or two tacked onto the time.
When you’d prefer to freeze cookies which have already been baked, enable baked palmiers to chill fully earlier than storing and freezing them in a freezer-safe container (use parchment paper to separate the layers as wanted).
Let the palmiers thaw at room temperature after which place them within the oven on low for a couple of minutes to crisp them up once more. If the sugar coating has dissolved, give your re-crisped palmiers an additional sprinkle of sugar earlier than serving.
Extra Christmas Cookie Recipes
A basic French pastry, Home made Palmiers are straightforward to arrange and crisp up completely within the oven in beneath 20 minutes. Take pleasure in sugary and crunchy, bakery high quality palmiers cookies contemporary from your personal kitchen for the vacations!
- 1 1/2 cups cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- Mix the cane sugar and salt.
- Roll Out the Dough: Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the sugar combination onto a clear counter or floor. Unfold one sheet of puff pastry and place it on prime of the sugar evenly. Sprinkle 1/4 cup extra of the sugar combination on prime of the pastry sheet. Utilizing a rolling pin, gently roll the pastry out barely, urgent the sugar into the highest and backside. Collect extra sugar across the edges and sprinkle it on prime evenly utilizing as a lot sugar because the pastry will maintain. You need it fully coated.
- Fold: Use a knife to attain a vertical line down the center of the pastry sheet. Fold one half of the pastry from the sting one-third distance in direction of the center. Repeat by folding it over itself 2 extra occasions reaching the scored line. Repeat with the opposite aspect of the dough, so either side meet within the center. Fold the left aspect over the proper aspect, like closing a e-book. Set to the aspect.
- Repeat: Sprinkle 1/2 cup extra of the sugar combination onto the identical counter. Unfold the second sheet of puff pastry onto the sugar. Sprinkle the remaining sugar on prime of the pastry. Repeat the rolling and folding course of the identical as you probably did the primary sheet.
- Chill: Wrap the folded doughs individually in plastic wrap and refrigerate for half-hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with paper paper and put aside.
- Reduce and Bake: Working with one dough at a time, minimize the dough into slices roughly 1/2- inch large. Place them on the ready baking sheet, 2- inches aside, minimize aspect up. Bake for 18 minutes, till golden brown, flipping the cookies over midway via baking so either side caramelize. Switch to a wire rack to chill.
Tip – Change parchment paper after every batch. You’ll get bits of burnt sugar on the baking sheet and should you re-use the parchment paper these bits will persist with the subsequent batch giving them black specks and simply usually not trying as fairly.
Enable the puff pastry to thaw at room temperature on the counter for 30 – 45 minutes. Or within the fridge in a single day.
Retailer hermetic for as much as 3 days at room temperature in a non-humid place. If the air is humid the palmiers will get sticky.
Key phrases: palmiers cookies, christmas cookies, palmiers recipe