You’re going to like this recipe for conventional Polish Kolaczki cookies – excellent for straightforward Christmas baking! I really like making them in the course of the holidays with completely different coloured filling variations. These candy and delicate cream cheese cookies are simply as fairly to take a look at as they’re scrumptious to eat!
Need much more concepts? Try my 12 Days of Christmas assortment!
The Finest Kolaczki (Polish Stuffed Cookies)
Are you able to consider it’s already the time of 12 months once more to start out desirous about Christmas baking? Even just a bit bit. I swear, I’ve Christmas cookies on my thoughts as quickly as the primary indicators of the vacations pop up within the shops.
Immediately, I need to share with you a recipe for conventional Polish cookies, a.okay.a. Kolaczki. These cookies are a cream cheese pastry-cookie hybrid, full of strawberry preserves, and look completely stunning on a Christmas cookie platter. You possibly can actually use any filling or preserves you want, however the level is: you want to attempt these cookies!
Why I Love These Cookies for Christmas
I’m a fan of an important selfmade Christmas cookie – and Kolaczki are particularly appropriate for vacation cookie trays due to their shiny and customizable filling! The distinction of crisp mild cookies full of fruit preserves in a wide range of colours, sprinkled with powdered sugar, is de facto eye-catching at events. They’re like little bundles of snow-dusted Christmas pleasure, and I like it.
What Are Kolaczki?
Kolaczki is a standard Polish cookie recipe that’s tremendous widespread not solely in Poland, but in addition within the Nordic nations, many elements of Japanese Europe, in addition to in Russia. These cookies are comprised of a pastry-like, cream cheese dough folded over a wide range of fillings, from fruit jams and Polish preserves to nuts and seeds.
Right here is the quick listing of substances you’ll want for these easy (and oh-so-lovely) Polish cookies:
- Cream Cheese: Delivered to room temperature.
- Butter: Additionally at room temperature.
- Fruit Preserves: For this recipe I take advantage of strawberry preserves as filling, however you need to use any jams or preserves your coronary heart wishes!
- All Function Flour
- Powdered Sugar
How you can Make Kolaczki Cookies
Regardless of how elegant they give the impression of being when folded and golden, Kolaczki cookies are literally very uncomplicated to bake! I take advantage of a stand mixer to mix the dough substances, however you can too use a wood spoon and a few elbow grease as wanted. Right here’s the way to make conventional Polish Kolaczki:
Put together the Cookie Dough: First, you’ll want to arrange the cream cheese pastry dough and place it within the fridge to relax.
Divide and Reduce the Dough Squares: When you take away the dough from the fridge, divide it into 4 equal elements. Working in batches, start by rolling out every of the dough sections right into a single skinny rectangle, after which reduce the dough into 2 x 2 inch squares.
Fill and Fold: Place a teaspoon or so of filling into the middle of the dough squares, then gently fold the diagonal corners one over one other and pinch the dough into place. Repeat this course of with the remaining dough.
Bake: Place the cookies onto a ready baking sheet and bake them in a preheated oven till they’re flippantly golden. Lastly, switch them to a wire rack and allow them to cool fully earlier than dusting them with powdered sugar.
You possibly can fill these cookies with any most well-liked selection of fruit preserves or nut filling. Absolutely anything goes! Listed here are some recommendations for Kolaczki filling variations:
- Raspberry, blackberry, or blueberry
- Peach, cranberry, cherry or apricot
- Orange marmalade
- Poppy seeds
- Crushed walnuts, almonds or pecan pie filling
- Apple pie filling
- Lemon curd
- Cinnamon sugar
Suggestions for Success
Cease Kolaczki From Opening Whereas Baking: For those who discover that among the folded cookies are “blooming” open whereas within the oven, there are a few methods you’ll be able to attempt. First, be sure that the dough is rolled skinny sufficient, no thicker than 1 / 4 inch, for the very best outcomes when baking. I’ve additionally discovered that letting the wrapped cookies relaxation for a half hour or so earlier than putting them within the oven may also help to stop any unfolding.
If the Filling is Leaking Throughout Baking: Fillings that comprise corn syrup even have a lesser likelihood of leaking whereas the cookies bake. In any other case, attempt to use dry fruit filling the place you’ll be able to, and be conscious that some jams and preserves might leak a bit greater than others! These cookies will nonetheless be scrumptious in any case.
How you can Retailer These Cookies
One of the best ways to retailer selfmade cookies is by letting them cool fully earlier than transferring them to an hermetic container or resealable bag. Kolaczki cookies will keep recent at room temperature for as much as 5 days.
Can I Freeze Them?
Baked Kolaczki cookies freeze very well; retailer them sealed tightly or in a freezer secure container for as much as 30 days. In case your cookies want a little bit of reviving after they’ve been defrosted, you’ll be able to place the thawed cookies within the oven on low warmth to crisp up a bit earlier than serving.
Kolaczki cookie dough could be wrapped tightly and saved frozen for as much as 3 months, then thawed in a single day within the fridge.
Extra Christmas Cookie Recipes
Selfmade Polish Kolaczki cookies are excellent for straightforward vacation baking! These delicate and festive cream cheese cookies are full of candy fruit preserves and look stunning on a Christmas cookie tray.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups butter, room temperature
- 3 cups all objective flour
- 1 cup strawberry preserves
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Prep and chill the dough:
- Cream butter and sugar. Within the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the cream cheese and butter collectively on medium velocity till easy, scraping the edges of the bowl as vital.
- Add flour. Flip the mixer to low and slowly add within the flour, mixing till simply mixed.
- Take away the dough from the bowl and flatten right into a disk form. Cowl tightly with plastic wrap and chill the dough for two hours, or in a single day.
Assemble and bake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put aside.
- Take away the dough from the fridge and divide into 4 equal elements. Working in batches, utilizing a rolling pin, roll every dough out into a skinny rectangle about 1/2- centimeter thick. Utilizing a wheel pastry cutter, knife, or pizza cutter, reduce the dough into 2- inch squares.
- Fill a small bowl with water and put aside.
- Unfold 1/2 teaspoon of the preserves into the middle of the dough squares. Utilizing your fingers, moist two diagonal corners of the dough and fold excessive of one another, pinching the dough collectively to seal. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake. Place the cookies onto the ready baking sheet 1 1/2- inches aside and bake for 12- 13 minutes till flippantly golden.
- Switch the cookies to a wire rack to chill fully. When the cookies are cooled, sprinkle them with powdered sugar. You should utilize as a lot or as little as you want.
You should utilize any sort of preserves you want. My household likes strawberry, however apricot or raspberry are nice too.
Retailer hermetic at room temperature for as much as 5 days.
These cookies freeze nicely. Retailer them hermetic within the freezer for as much as 30 days for greatest freshness.
Key phrases: polish cookie, christmas cookies, kolaczki recipe
Need To Save This Recipe?
PIN for later: