Lemon chess pie has all of the creamy taste of basic chess pie, nevertheless it makes use of lemon juice and zest for a taste twist. It is a Lemon Pie recipe you’ll love!
Be certain to take a look at my recipe for Chocolate Chess Pie too!
This recipe is made in partnership with Imperial Sugar. Click on right here for the FULL RECIPE.
What Is A Lemon Chess Pie?
Chess Pie is a basic Southern pie recipe, that really originated in England. With out moving into an excessive amount of historical past, it’s a candy pie recipe that may be very simple to make with easy substances. At this time I’m making a lemon model of the basic, and I would say that I desire the tart lemon filling over the unique! The filling nearly tastes like lemon curd, so if you happen to like lemon curd, you’ll LOVE this recipe!
Elements for This Lemon Chess Pie Recipe:
This recipe makes a 9-inch pie. Be certain to jump over to Imperial Sugar for the FULL RECIPE
- Pie dough. You should utilize selfmade pie dough or you should purchase retailer purchased!
- Giant Eggs. The eggs are finest at room temperature for this recipe so the pie bakes into a good custard.
- Granulated sugar.
- Lemons. You’ll use the juice and the zest!
- Melted Butter
- Cornmeal. Not stone floor or course cornmeal. An everyday or high quality cornmeal works finest for this pie recipe.
- All goal flour.
- Kosher salt
- Powdered sugar or whipped cream for garnish
- Crust: Unroll the pie dough right into a 9- inch pie pan. Trim the surplus dough, flute the perimeters, and prick the underside of the dough with a fork. Place the pie dough within the fridge for 20 minutes, when you make your filling.
- Filling: In a big bowl whisk the eggs. Regularly add within the granulated sugar and zest, whisking till mixed and till thickened.
- Add within the lemon juice, melted butter, cornmeal, flour, and salt and whisk till integrated.
- Bake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Take away the pie dough from the fridge. Pour the filling into the chilled pie crust. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes on the lowest rack within the oven till the middle is ready and the highest is golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour then refrigerate for at the least 4 hours earlier than serving.
- Mud with powdered sugar if desired.
Why Does Chess Pie Have Cornmeal?
Cornmeal is a stabilizer within the pie, preserving the filling from being runny. Buttermilk pie and chess pie are very related, nonetheless, cornmeal is barely utilized in chess pie!
Making ready The Pie Shell:
You should utilize both a selfmade pie dough or a retailer purchased dough. You may even use a frozen pie crust as properly. I’m all about making issues simple! In my recipe you don’t pre-bake this crust earlier than filling it, however you completely may partially bake it if you happen to desire that methodology. I’ve performed it each methods and haven’t seen a distinction, besides the crusts browns slightly extra when it’s partially baked. PRO TIP: Place your pie on the bottom rack within the oven to make sure the underside of the pie will get totally cooked!
How To Retailer Lemon Chess Pie?
Retailer the pie hermetic within the fridge for as much as 5 days. This pie is okay left at room temperature as properly, however the filling will get softer, because it warms, and received’t slice fairly as properly.
Can You Freeze Lemon Chess Pie?
Sure completely! This pie freezes fantastically. Retailer it frozen for up t a month for finest freshness. Thaw it out in a single day within the fridge.
Jump over to Imperial Sugar for the full and printable recipe.
PIN for later: