Buttery, traditional reduce out sugar cookies get a brown sugar twist with my Brown Sugar Lower Outs! Get pleasure from them plain or adorn them for the vacations!
This recipe was made in partnership with my pals at Imperial Sugar. CLICK HERE for the total recipe!
Lower out cookies are traditional Christmas cookies, and including brown sugar to a sugar cookie recipe is a fast and simple twist on the everyday cookie. I began with my excellent simple sugar cookie recipe, so in case you love that recipe as a lot as I do, you’ll love these too! The addition of brown sugar will impart a softer texture and a light-weight brown sugar taste, whereas nonetheless holding the form of even your most intricate cookie cutter with NO CHILLING NEEDED!! You can even use darkish brown sugar in case you favor a fair deeper brown sugar style. Love this simple cookie recipe!
Sure and no…that’s most likely not the reply you have been in search of! Perhaps the proper reply right here is “somewhat”. My favourite reduce out cookies are gentle however with crisper edges, and brown sugar does lend a softer cookie, as brown sugar has extra moisture than granulated, however you’ll nonetheless obtain these crisp edges.
Brown Sugar Lower Out Components:
Click on right here: Full checklist of substances and printable recipe
- Chilly butter. I take advantage of chilly butter in my recipe to forestall spreading with out having to relax the dough. You may nonetheless chill the dough if you would like, however I don’t discover it’s needed.
- Gentle brown sugar. You need to use darkish brown sugar as nicely, or a mix of the 2. I favor gentle brown sugar in these, as you continue to get the caramel taste with out including further moisture to the cookie.
- Giant egg
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- All goal flour
Icing isn’t needed on these sugar cookies, however in case you like adorning cookies it is a fast and easy icing to make in case you don’t wish to go to all the difficulty of creating royal icing!
- Powdered sugar
- Water or milk
- Gentle corn syrup
Unsalted vs Salted Butter
You need to use with both salted or unsalted butter on this recipe. It’s a private desire of mine to make use of salted, as I simply favor the style. In the event you select to make use of unsalted you don’t want to extend the quantity of further salt on this recipe.
- Cookies: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and put aside.
- Within the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar collectively on medium pace for two minutes till gentle and fluffy.
- Add within the egg, vanilla, baking powder, and salt and proceed mixing till mixed and clean, scraping the edges of the bowl as needed with a rubber spatula.
- Flip the mixer pace to low and add within the flour, mixing till the dough comes collectively.
- Divide dough into 2 sections and on a floured floor, utilizing a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/3 inch thick. Utilizing a cookie cutter, reduce out shapes of the dough along with your desired cutter(s) and place the cookies on the ready baking sheet 1 1/2- inches aside. In case you are baking in batches, maintain the unused dough within the fridge till prepared to make use of to forestall dough from getting too heat.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes till the sides are evenly golden. Permit the cookies to chill on the baking sheet for five minutes after which switch them to a wire rack to chill fully.
- Icing: In a bowl, whisk collectively the powdered sugar, water, and corn syrup till clean.
- Unfold or pipe onto cooled cookies. You need to use a drop of meals coloring to attain totally different colours. Permit the icing to arrange fully earlier than storing.
Listed below are just a few tips I’ve discovered alongside the best way to maintain your cookies from spreading:
- Use chilly butter to begin. Dice chilly butter and blend it into the sugar with out permitting it to return as much as room temperature. This retains the dough cooler.
- Chill the dough. Even in case you begin with chilly butter you may nonetheless chill the dough to be on the protected facet if spreading is a priority, or in case you’re utilizing intricate cookie cutters.
- Be sure to’re utilizing massive eggs within the cookie dough. In the event you purchase further massive eggs on accident (I’ve performed it) it will add further moisture into your cookie, altering the consistency of the dough and inflicting the dough to unfold extra.
- Granulated sugar has a decrease moisture content material than brown sugar, and can typically unfold much less and offer you crisper edges. This can be a brown sugar reduce out cookie recipe, so that you most likely don’t wish to sub out the sugar, however you actually can.
- To forestall much more spreading, you should utilize shortening rather than butter, as butter has a better moisture content material. I favor baking with butter, however shortening is an possibility!
I favor a thicker cutout cookie, however you are able to do no matter you want! I discover that utilizing a rolling pin, the thickness proper between 1/4″ – 1/3″ is the candy spot. I typically err on the facet of a thicker cookie. However I do know so many individuals like a extra skinny and crisp cookie, which is nice too as you may get extra cookies out of your dough!
I these cookies don’t want altering, BUT you may get artistic with the extract flavors you utilize. Listed below are few to attempt:
- 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract
PIN for later: